Citizen Diplomacy International is a non-profit organization, which showcases the Philadelphia region through international business, educational and cultural exchanges. Working with the US Department of State and the City of Philadelphia, we bring over a thousand foreign leaders, government officials, business people and students to Philadelphia each year to share best practices, explore opportunities for investment, and promote person-to-person relations.
Overview of the Position
As program assistant, you should be enthusiastic and detail-oriented, and enjoy working as part of a small, mission-driven team. You’ll report to our Director of IVLP Programs and provide administrative support to her and the programming team. You’ll coordinate itineraries for our international visitors: setting up professional meetings; handling logistics, including hotel and transportation bookings; and working with our Development team to arrange opportunities for our visitors to meet with real Americans. You’ll also help research activities and track our programs, recording activities, expenses and outcomes for the team. Good written and verbal communication skills are essential.
● Provide administrative support to the director of Programs: researching activities, preparing program materials, tracking programs in our database, filing,etc.
● Draft correspondence for programs, including meeting confirmations, thank you letters, and other official correspondence.
● Coordinate program logistics, including hotel and transportation bookings, and cultural activities.
● Prepare materials for programs, including welcome packets, briefing notes and other documents as required.
● Maintain program files, statistics and database information on all visitors and programs.
● Assist with the preparation of programming reports, including reports to our board and
● Coordinate with the Development team to plan opportunities for our Citizen Diplomat
members to welcome our international visitors through dinner hospitality, home stays and
other special events.
● Support communications by providing regular updates on program activities, including
stories and photos.
Qualifications and Skills
● A commitment to Citizen Diplomacy’s mission of connecting Philadelphia to the world and our values of inclusivity and integrity
● Good sense of humor
● Strong organizational skills that show an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail, particularly under pressure
● Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with a wide variety of people from a range of different cultural backgrounds
● Good written and verbal communication skills
● Resourceful team-player, with the ability to also work independently and sometimes with
● The ability to work occasional evenings. We host monthly networking events and other programs, which are often held in the evening.
The ability to walk with a group through center city and stand for extended periods of time and carry up to 30lb of special event materials is also necessary.
● Strong computer skills, including use of databases (familiarity with Salesforce a plus) and proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Excel, and social media.
● A Bachelor’s degree or and Associates degree with 1 to 3 years of experience in an office setting is preferred.
● Familiarity with Philadelphia organizations, tourism sites and media is beneficial.
● A positive attitude, willingness to learn, and the ability to pick up new skills quickly is more important than professional experience.
Compensation and Benefits
● The wage for this non-exempt position is $19.00 per hour for 20 to 25 hours per week. Weekly schedule is flexible, may require some evening and weekends, and are based on incoming program itineraries.
● Location: Hybrid. Employees will be allowed to work from home a designated number of days per week based upon the needs of their department but most activities will take place at our Center City office and other Philadelphia locations.
● Job type is temporary and grant funded through June 30, 2023.
● All staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
OUR HIRING PROCESS AND TIMELINE
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter, resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with IVLP Program Assistant in the subject line. The cover letter should highlight your qualifications, relevant experience (work or other), and share why this opportunity with Citizen Diplomacy is a strong fit.
Please direct any questions about the job to email@example.com, via email. No phone calls please.
Citizen Diplomacy International is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to building a truly global Philadelphia. Women, people of color, veterans, and other minorities are encouraged to apply.